This is the family devotional for Week 2 of WorshipLife. Please adapt this devotional to work best for your family.
Say this week’s memory verse together: Therefore by Him let us continually offer the sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of our lips, giving thanks to His name. – Hebrews 13:15 (NKJ)
Say: Last week we explored the realities of worship. Whatever we do, if we do it from a heart filled with love for God, it is worship. This week we are going to talk about praising God.
Ask: Don’t you like it when someone praises you for something you did? Maybe someone compliments you on a picture you drew or a song you sang. Or maybe you do really well on a paper at school and someone says, ”Good job!”
- Say: God is much more deserving of praise than we are. He created the stars and the earth and made everything around us that is good and perfect. Let’s name some things now that God has made.
- Say: He loves it when we compliment and praise Him. There are 8 expressions we can do to praise Him.
- As you read through these, have everyone do each one together:
• Lifting up our hands
• Saying things to and about him (also known as testifying)
• Playing an instrument (Option: Try beating pots and pans like drums)
Read the entire list again to review.
Say: Now, everyone pick one to do, and let’s all do them at the same time. Remember, whatever you choose, do it for the Lord because you love Him and He deserves your praise. Ready? 1, 2, 3, go!
Say: Let’s make it a habit this week—and every week—to praise Him using at least one of these expressions of praise.
Prayer: Lord, thank You for being good and big and loving and awesome. Help us never be ashamed to praise You — no matter where we are.